The United States is warming up fast-researchers suggest that we will reach dangerous levels 20 years sooner than the rest of the planet. The study, compiled by researchers from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, was released as the US prepared to inaugurate President Donald Trump. Meanwhile, on his first full day in office, Trump had all references to global warming, and climate change dropped from the official White House website. Not surprising since it was he who has dismissed global warming as a hoax created by China "in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive".
The researchers created computer models of the Earth and simulated the pattern of increased warming in different parts of the world. We will warm up by two degrees Celsius of warming when the average for the rest of the world is a half a degree cooler. And the Northeastern states is where the effects are already the most noticeable; they are experiencing an increase in temperature by about 3C while the rest of the world averages a 2C rise.
The study infers that the 48 states of the contiguous US will reach 2C by about 2050. That 2C is a magic number because that's the point at which scientists believe dangerous weather events will start to take place, and the United States will be among the first to experience those events.
From their report: "The differential warming of land and ocean leads to many continental regions in the Northern Hemisphere warming at rates higher than the global mean temperature. Adaptation and conservation efforts will, therefore, benefit from understanding regional consequences of limiting the global mean temperature increase to well below 2C above pre-industrial levels. The regional warming rates differ considerably across the contiguous US, but all regions are projected to reach 2C about 10-20 years before the global mean temperature."
The answer to this isn't vaping, but we've discovered some ways that it can help.
1. 5.6 trillion cigarettes are smoked annually; roughly 3.28 trillion cigarette butts are thrown out or tossed onto the ground. By vaping, we keep a lot of that harmful waste out of landfills where harmful chemicals leach from cigarette butts into the ground. The butts that end up on city streets have a chance of affecting water runoff that becomes drinking water.
2. According to preventcigarettelitter.org, 32% of all coastline litter is cigarette butts. Because they are not biodegradable, cigarettes take up to 12 years to fully decompose. By vaping, your keeping fish and other wildlife safe from harmful chemicals.
3. Cigarette smoke releases 16 million metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Vaping does not!
4. Tobacco farming accounts for 40% of its annual deforestation in South Korea and Uruguay. Deforestation robs the Earth it's only way to turn carbon dioxide into clean air, so emissions go up and account for about 5% of global greenhouse gas emissions every year.
5. Finally, vaping creates none of the harmful leftovers that animals have a tendency to eat or absorb through their food when cigarette butts get strewn throughout their environment.
So help save the planet, and vape today!